Putting our best foot forward to lend a hand
The primary objective of CRC is to create the requisite infrastructure for training, manpower development, research and to provide services to persons with disabilities. The scope of services extend to Himachal Pradesh and the adjoining states of Punjab and Haryana. CRC functions as the outreach centre of the National Institute for the Visually Handicapped and facilitates the process of capacity building at local levels, in the region.
The main objectives are:
- To serve as the Composite Regional Centre for rehabilitation and special education of persons with disabilities.
- To establish linkages with existing medical, educational, and employment services following the principles of community-based rehabilitation, and offer extension services in the rural areas.
- To stimulate growth of services by encouraging and supporting voluntary organizations, parent groups and self- help groups.
- To undertake human resource development by training rehabilitation professionals, village level workers, multi-rehabilitation workers and other functionaries in the government and non-government sector required for providing services to persons with disabilities.
- To develop strategies for delivery of rehabilitation services suitable to the socio-cultural background of the region.
- To undertake research and development with specific reference to the needs of diverse groups of people with disability, keeping in view the nature and severity of disability in the region.
- To undertake public education programme for the creation of awareness among parents and the community.
- To undertake designing, fabrication & fitment of aids and appliances.
- To undertake services of education and skill development, leading to enhancement of opportunities for employment, rehabilitation, mobility, communication, recreation and integration in society.